Monday, August 13, 2007

Great Hires - Great Contributors

I've recently come across a great career resource for Gen X and Gen Y-rs. Penelope Trunk is the author of The Brazen Careerist . In a recent post on her blog she suggests people who are happiest are those who have a strong ability to give.

These are five traits that people who are givers usually exhibit:
1. A sense that you can make a difference in the world
2. Empathy that enables you to truly feel the suffering of others
3. Belief that you are someone who can get things done
4. Spiritual faith in the world - -either traditional religion or an eclectic altruism
5. A focus on doing good that endures beyond your lifetime


She goes on to suggest that one of the things that students should cultivate while in college is this ability to give.

I know that employers are seeking in the people they hire that same ability to offer the work place more than just a warm body filling a seat. I know that people in healthcare are wired to give.... and usually do generously with their patients. Take a look at the list above and think about yourself. Who are you? If we were rating where would you come out on the above list? Then think about yourself as you function in your world of work. How would you like to best perform? At the end of the day it is all about our contribution. What are you doing to manifest yours?

Happy and Healthy Job Searching and Hiring.

Lynden
www.nextiteration.net
www.nihealthjobs.com
www.mdcareercompass.com

2 comments:

Terri Walker said...

Wow! This is great stuff. It's like when you find a greeting card that says exactly what you feel but didn't know the words to express that feeling until you read it. My hospital has been struggling with nurse recruitment (like most places) because of the "nursing shortage". Our current recruiter doesn't seem to be doing such a hot job. I would love to go to my senior managment team to give them some of my ideas. What I really want is the job of being nurse recruiter. Up til now I haven't really had the confidence that I could do that. Thanks to reading this "greeting card", I do now. Thank you!

Lynden said...

Terri -

I'm always looking for good talent to work in our recruiting firm. Don't hesitate to contact me to talk about a career as a healthcare recruiter.

Success by design - always.

Lynden